A commercial location can determine whether you make it or break it for your business. Many times, this is one of the key elements for your business to do well or one of the main reasons it can fail. And because it is not an easy decision to make, here are some things...
Electricity is one of the most consuming expenses for any kind of commercial business. Keeping tabs on your energy usage it is not only good for your restaurant and employees, but also good for the environment. So, here are some tips to improve your revenues and limit...
There are different theories about how regularly vent hoods should be clean. Some say it should be every month, every 3 months or at least twice a year. But, which is the correct answer? The importance of vent hood cleaning Preparation of food involves the release of...
Hiring a professional, for any given project, serves as a creative guru. Even if you’re acquainted with the implications of designing and developing a restaurant, an app or even a play, having someone by your side who has knowledge and experience is essential to guide...
Finding durable and good-quality materials for commercial construction may be a difficult task. There are infinite options, especially nowadays when sustainability is a fundamental element to take into consideration. Practicality is not the sole characteristic to bear...
Which Commercial Kitchen Layout is Right for Your Restaurant?
To work at full speed, a commercial kitchen must be designed in a way that compliments both the unique infrastructure of the building and the requirements of the restaurant and the team working there. A layout where efficiency meets safety will improve overall operations of your business while simultaneously allowing the employees to feel comfortable and safe while working.
While looking at the blank slate of what is soon to be you dream restaurant, take these tips into account and choose the right kitchen layout:
Get the best advice from your cooking team
Trust the most specialized people on your team to select the necessary appliances and design the kitchen layout accordingly, as well as the appropriate position to maximize the work flow. The best design will be the one that allows the team to store, prepare and serve the food more easily and thus, more efficiently.
Space is an important aspect to consider. The standard ratio for front-of-house to back-of-house is 60 to 40, depending on the dimensions of the dining room, it’s important that you plan for enough space in the kitchen to keep things running smoothly.
A complete, efficient kitchen layout must serve all the basic functions of a kitchen such as:
- A loading area: ample parking space to receive fresh ingredients and products.
- Storage space: enough to store not only ingredients (pantry for dry goods and commercial fridge for perishables), but to place cooking utensils, plates, glasses, linens etc.
- Food preparation areas: the amount of space allotted to these areas will depend on the type of food on the menu, and need to have appropriate counter space and room for cutting, and cooking utensils. Special preparation areas must be conditioned to prepare food for guests with dietary restrictions and allergies, and don’t forget to plan enough space for washing areas.
- Cooking: according to the volume and type of food prepared at your restaurant, this area may vary in space and appliances. Nowadays, a cooking station is not complete without a Kitchen Display System, which allows cooks to see upcoming orders and plan ahead to prepare the required dishes.
- Service: an area designed to plate and garnish every dish before it is handed off to servers.
- Cleaning: washing areas, adequate waste disposal and tools and products for the kitchen equipment.
Comply with safety regulations
Start your business on the right foot by going over your local health and safety regulations and the necessary licenses and permits to open your restaurant. Violation of these policies can lead to expensive fees.
If you’re uncertain about this step, it’s always better to seek advice from the experts. ProTech has a team dedicated to demystify your doubts and guide you through all the paperwork.
If you are looking for the best and the most reliable company in Houston to help you design and build your kitchen, put your trust in ProTech Facility Services. We are an experienced company that has been offering installation, cleaning and maintenance to commercial kitchen owners for 35 years.
Our 24/7 response team will be happy to help, just contact us!