Micro trends have made interior (restaurant) design somewhat of a difficult task because of the overwhelming number of options available in the market. However, we have pinpointed some of the top restaurant design trends of 2023 to make your restaurant functional yet...
Kitchen Hood Installation: Frequently Asked Questions
In order to elevate your cooking game, but also assure your restaurant’s safety, it’s necessary for you to acquire a sleek and powerful kitchen hood. A lot of questions arise regarding this important piece of equipment, especially whether they are really necessary or...
Types of Exhaust Fans and their differences
Commercial kitchen ventilation is of utmost importance in any restaurant. It’s in charge of eliminating steam, smoke, smells and other types of waste such as grease that stem from cooking. In commercial kitchens, range hoods are large pieces of equipment composed of...
Common vent hood system problems
Vent hoods are just the tip of the iceberg of a more complex system composed of duct work installation, fans, a control panel, access panels and a fire suppression system. That’s why it’s easy to get caught up with several problems from different sources related to...
5 ways to improve restaurant profitability
Profitability is always on the mind of restaurant owners, and there are many ways to increase it, such as a focus on infrastructure, menu, and employee training. Choose a place to start and take a look at the following tips. Optimize the prices of the plates The first...
Which Commercial Kitchen Layout is Right for Your Restaurant?
To work at full speed, a commercial kitchen must be designed in a way that compliments both the unique infrastructure of the building and the requirements of the restaurant and the team working there. A layout where efficiency meets safety will improve overall operations of your business while simultaneously allowing the employees to feel comfortable and safe while working.
While looking at the blank slate of what is soon to be you dream restaurant, take these tips into account and choose the right kitchen layout:
Get the best advice from your cooking team
Trust the most specialized people on your team to select the necessary appliances and design the kitchen layout accordingly, as well as the appropriate position to maximize the work flow. The best design will be the one that allows the team to store, prepare and serve the food more easily and thus, more efficiently.
Space is an important aspect to consider. The standard ratio for front-of-house to back-of-house is 60 to 40, depending on the dimensions of the dining room, it’s important that you plan for enough space in the kitchen to keep things running smoothly.
A complete, efficient kitchen layout must serve all the basic functions of a kitchen such as:
- A loading area: ample parking space to receive fresh ingredients and products.
- Storage space: enough to store not only ingredients (pantry for dry goods and commercial fridge for perishables), but to place cooking utensils, plates, glasses, linens etc.
- Food preparation areas: the amount of space allotted to these areas will depend on the type of food on the menu, and need to have appropriate counter space and room for cutting, and cooking utensils. Special preparation areas must be conditioned to prepare food for guests with dietary restrictions and allergies, and don’t forget to plan enough space for washing areas.
- Cooking: according to the volume and type of food prepared at your restaurant, this area may vary in space and appliances. Nowadays, a cooking station is not complete without a Kitchen Display System, which allows cooks to see upcoming orders and plan ahead to prepare the required dishes.
- Service: an area designed to plate and garnish every dish before it is handed off to servers.
- Cleaning: washing areas, adequate waste disposal and tools and products for the kitchen equipment.
Comply with safety regulations
Start your business on the right foot by going over your local health and safety regulations and the necessary licenses and permits to open your restaurant. Violation of these policies can lead to expensive fees.
If you’re uncertain about this step, it’s always better to seek advice from the experts. ProTech has a team dedicated to demystify your doubts and guide you through all the paperwork.
If you are looking for the best and the most reliable company in Houston to help you design and build your kitchen, put your trust in ProTech Facility Services. We are an experienced company that has been offering installation, cleaning and maintenance to commercial kitchen owners for 35 years.
Our 24/7 response team will be happy to help, just contact us!