Micro trends have made interior (restaurant) design somewhat of a difficult task because of the overwhelming number of options available in the market. However, we have pinpointed some of the top restaurant design trends of 2023 to make your restaurant functional yet...
In order to elevate your cooking game, but also assure your restaurant’s safety, it’s necessary for you to acquire a sleek and powerful kitchen hood. A lot of questions arise regarding this important piece of equipment, especially whether they are really necessary or...
Commercial kitchen ventilation is of utmost importance in any restaurant. It’s in charge of eliminating steam, smoke, smells and other types of waste such as grease that stem from cooking. In commercial kitchens, range hoods are large pieces of equipment composed of...
Vent hoods are just the tip of the iceberg of a more complex system composed of duct work installation, fans, a control panel, access panels and a fire suppression system. That’s why it’s easy to get caught up with several problems from different sources related to...
Profitability is always on the mind of restaurant owners, and there are many ways to increase it, such as a focus on infrastructure, menu, and employee training. Choose a place to start and take a look at the following tips. Optimize the prices of the plates The first...
The commercial kitchen safety checklist
Cooking is fun and dangerous. There are so many Final Destination-like scenarios that can go down in a kitchen. That’s why it is important that you, whether you are a restaurant manager or owner, prevent any potential hazards from occurring.
Here is the ultimate commercial kitchen safety checklist for you to prevent any accident from taking place at your restaurant
Teaching your employees how to protect themselves is key for their personal safety, but also for the team’s and the clients’ overall wellbeing. A good restaurant manager also should bear in mind their employees’ needs. How many items below can you check off about your employees?
- wash their hands before working with food.
- be given hand protection, especially when cutting or maneuvering food, such as gloves and non-slip cutting boards.
- not wear jewelry, to avoid it potentially ending up in someone’s food.
- have proper anti-slip footwear.
- be provided rest spaces with stools and chairs for break times.
- be hydrated. We are 70% made up of water, and working in a kitchen is physically demanding, thirsty work.
- not come to work if they are sick.
- feel heard. It’s important to listen to your employees’ concerns and support them to find solutions. Happy employees means happy customers.
Probably one of the most worrying and recurrent threats in a commercial kitchen are kitchen fires. Make sure you have the following fire-prevention measures in check.
- Fire extinguishers
- No smoking on the premises
- Fire evacuation plan
- Regular Fire drills
- Proper ventilation
An adequate ventilation is important because it reduces heat, enhances airflow, improves the kitchen’s hygiene and prevents fire hazards. Your restaurant vent hood has a constant supply of dirty, greasy air flowing through it during all hours the kitchen is in operation. This can result in a build-up of grease which can drip onto surfaces creating a risk for hazardous outcomes such as a kitchen fire.
That’s why you should:
- conduct a thorough cleaning of your kitchen’s exhaust system regularly.
- use the right techniques and products.
- be careful if you do it yourself: all gas valves and pilot lights must be shut off before we start any work.
- choose an experienced company like ProTech to do this task for you. This option will yield results that far exceed those achievable by standard cleaning. Not only do we have the expertise, we also all the equipment necessary to clean the ventilation system in meticulous detail.
If you have any further questions on how to prevent any hazards from taking place at your restaurant business in Houston, contact us now at Protech Facility Services. We’ll be happy to discuss your concerns and help you find a solution.